Designing an Energy-Plus House
By Elena Sereiviene ✉ and Rundong Jiang
An energy-plus house is a house that generates more renewable energy than the energy it consumes over the course of a year. In this activity, students are challenged to come up with three different designs for an energy-plus house using Aladdin, following the engineering design process.
After finishing this design challenge, students will be able to:
- Evaluate a design solution using the given criteria and constraints
- Collect evidence of the design performance using computer simulations
- Improve the design performance through iterations
- Create a design that meets the given criteria and constraints
- Explain the choice of design variables using scientific principles
Lehigh University also made some video tutorials.
Related Educational Standards
The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS): MS-PS3-3, MS-ETS-1, HS-PS3-3, HS-ETS-1