Job Opening: Research Associate
$55,000 - $65,000 a year, plus an excellent and comprehensive package of benefits (including generous employer retirement contributions)
The Institute for Future Intelligence is a new 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in June, 2020 in Natick, Massachusetts. Our overarching mission is to search educational solutions in the era of artificial intelligence. We believe that a significant part of education would need to be revamped for future generations to adapt to the serious challenges posed by widespread use of artificial intelligence and embrace the great opportunities brought by it. Our goal is to become a leading institution of research and development that focuses on reimagining the relationship between human and machine and getting ready for its profound impacts on society.
We are seeking an entry-level learning scientist and educational researcher to join a growing organization to develop innovative solutions to promote formal and informal STEM education, based on creative use of advanced technology originated at IFI. A successful candidate will be an individual who is enthused by using educational technology to promote social equity and justice, is comfortable working with disciplinary experts in STEM, has proven records of academic publications, and takes pride and ownership in his/her work. This position is funded for multiple years by several federal grants from the National Science Foundation to the Institute for Future Intelligence. As the research and development at IFI center on STEM education, the ideal candidate should have a good understanding of mathematics, science, and engineering equivalent to or beyond high school levels. A PhD degree in STEM education, learning sciences, or related fields is required. We are considering only local candidates or those who can relocate to Massachusetts in the near future.
Who you are
- Dedicated to changing the world with innovations
- Interested in science, engineering, and computation
- Open-minded in learning new things to grow with the organization
- Ambitious to become a leading researcher in the field
- Excellent at writing and presenting
- Agile to work on multiple projects at the same time in a fast-pacing team
What you will do
- Develop instructional materials and assessment instruments to support educational research that aims to answer important questions in learning sciences, including how technology can improve social equity and justice
- Design thoughtful, phased educational research plans that shed light on the effectiveness of educational interventions enabled by innovative technologies
- Contribute to the theory building of formal and informal STEM learning and teaching in new paradigms empowered by innovative technologies
- Collaborate with a team of researchers, developers, and educators to create and improve educational products and programs through design-based research
What skills and qualifications you should have
- Must have an excellent grasp of current literature in the field of STEM education research
- Must be able to author research papers independently and efficiently
- Must be familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards or similar state standards
- Must have proven experience in curriculum development, research design, assessment development, and data analysis
- Should understand the learning sciences behind scientific inquiry, engineering design, and computational thinking across STEM domains
- Should have some ability to analyze fine-grained or large-scale learner data using Python or R based on methods in educational data mining and learning analytics
- Should demonstrate basic understanding of math, science, and computer science at the high school level or above
- Must have a PhD degree in STEM education, learning sciences, or related fields
Please send your resume to email@example.com.
Our equal employment opportunity policy
The Institute for Future Intelligence provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.